It is all about quality
We use the very best ingredients – and no shortcuts. We do not filter nor pasteurize our beers, as these processes remove some of the juicy qualities. The way we brew, the fermentation process lets the beer continue to develop even after the tapping. Bottom line; we produce a real, honest, non-conceited beer that feels good to drink. And we promise this; there will be no creative hyping for any genuine Svalbard beers!
Numbers & such
- Spitsbergen beer is 94 % Svalbard and only 6% import.
- 16 % of our top quality water comes from the 2000 year old glacier Bogerbreen.
- The brewary building is 750 sqm (8,000 sqft) and 6,5 m (22 ft) high.
- The brew house takes 2,000 liters with an annual capacity on 1 million liters.
- Our 4 tanks (4,000 liters each) give a maximum annual capacity of 250,000 liters.
- We tap beer in 330 ml cans and 30 liter key kegs for restaurants & pubs.
- Filling capacity is 2,000 cans per hour.
- We use 3 liters of water to produce 1 liter of beer.
- We use 450 kgs malt to make 2,000 liter of 4,7 vol-% beer.
- Our goal is to produce 150,000 liters of beer in 2016.
To run a brewery close to the North pole demands unique logistics:
- Shipment by boat (every 10th day) to Tromsø takes some 60 hours.
- It is 560 nautic miles (1,040 km/645 miles) between Longyearbyen and Tromsø.
- Daily scheduled flight connection with Tromsø or Oslo in summer, 5 days a week in winter.
- Malt (Lahti, Finland)
- Hops (from around the world)
- Liquid yeast (USA – 4 days by plane)
- Key kegs (modern beer kegs) (Holland)
- Cans (Wales GB)
- Carbon dioxide (main land)